If you are interested in signing up for a class, just talk to one of the Runaway gang, e-mail Christy@RunwayArt.com, or call 503-881-6270 to get things set up. Classes are on demand. Age range: students 13 years and older. Also see our Class Calendar for classes that are already scheduled.
Stamping 101: You will learn the basics of using rubber and acrylic stamps to make your own cards. We cover storage, adhesive, cleaning and heat embossing. $25 for a two-hour class. No supplies needed. This is a prerequisite for most of our card classes if you are new to cardmaking.
Card classes: We offer a variety of card classes throughout the year. Please see our class samples and descriptions for specifics. Prices vary, starting at $35 for a two and half hour class including the class kits. Specific student supply lists are emailed prior to the class and include basic cardmaking items and something to color images – often alcohol markers.
Art Journaling: Learn a variety of mixed techniques using paint, stencils, stamps, papers and more. Each class is different. $60 for a three-hour class. Student Supplies: A large Dylusions® journal, white gesso, gel medium, strong double sided adhesive, Beacons® 3-in-1 glue or comparable strong white glue. Runaway provides paint, paper, tools, and other items to use in class.
- Altered Books: Christy teaches her own special twist on this mixed media process; learn different ways for decorating hard-cover books using stamps, ink, paint or stencils. $45 for a three-hour class. Student Supplies: White gesso, gel medium, strong double sided adhesive tape, Beacons® 3-in-1 glue or comparable strong glue. Runaway provides books, paint, paper, tools, and other items to use in class.
- Altered Books Club: Enjoy a morning with friends creating in your altered book. Christy will introduce you to one technique to use in your book. We will send you a list of supplies used in the technique Christy is presenting and you provide all the supplies you want to use in your book. We will have a time to share what you’ve created with the group with most of the time dedicated as free time. Class Fee: $18 (includes a 15% off reg. priced merchandise class discount). Runaway supplies: 2 Readers Digest Condensed Version books, water bins, garbage and a half a table to use.
Jan. 13, 2024
Feb. 3, 2024
March 2, 2024
April 6, 2024
May 4, 2024
- Watercolor 1: This is a prerequisite for other watercolor classes. You will learn basic washes, brush strokes, layering, lifting color and soft blending using Daniel Smith ® watercolors. If time permits, we make a small landscape painting. $60 for a three-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides watercolors, paint brushes, watercolor paper, and tools.
- Watercolor Trees & Bushes: Building on techniques in Watercolor 1 class, learn how to paint evergreen trees, deciduous trees and simple bushes. $65 for a three-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides watercolors, paint brushes, watercolor paper, and tools.
Alcohol Marker Classes
- Basic Alcohol Marker Techniques: Learn how alcohol markers work and differ from water-based markers so you can blend, flick, and add texture – or take the class to decide whether these wonderful and versatile markers are for you! $30 for a two-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides paper, images to color, selection of alcohol markers, and blank color charts.
- Advanced Alcohol Marker Techniques: Learn even more about blending, with your alcohol-based markers. Christy customizes additional classes to suit your needs and interests (faces, under-the-sea, specific stamped images, etc.). $40 for a two-hour class. Runaway provides paper and a selection of alcohol markers. Bring a list of the marker colors you own.
Gel Plate Printing Classes
- Beginning: $65 for a three-hour class. Learn how to use your gel plate to make one of a kind papers and pieces. You’ll use acrylic paint, stencils, tools, found objects and more to create one-of-a-kind prints. Student Supplies: A ½ inch stack of copy paper or drawing paper and 5-10 sheets of white cardstock. Runaway provides Art Advantage acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers, stencils and other texture tools.
- Gel Printing for Cardmakers: $60 for a three-hour class. Learn how to use gel plates to make beautiful cards – this class is designed specifically for cardmaking. Student Supplies: A ½ inch stack of copy paper and 6-10 pieces of white cardstock. Runaway provides Art Advantage acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers, stencils and other texture tools.
- Gel Printing Advanced Techniques: $70 for a three-hour class. Experiment with other types of acrylic paints. Christy customizes these classes. Students bring a variety of papers and/or a journal. Runaway provides acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers and other texture tools.
Color Theory Classes
- Acrylic Paints: Students will learn the principles of color theory, practice mixing, and make at least one color wheel. $60 for a three-hour class. A second option available – $80 for a three-hour class using Golden® fluid acrylics, (rather than student-grade, acrylic paints). Optional student supplies: A mixed media journal. Runaway provides paint, brushes, tools, and mixed media paper.
- Watercolor Paints: Students will learn the principles of color theory, practice mixing, and make at least one color wheel. $60 for a three-hour class. Optional student supplies: A watercolor or mixed media journal. Runaway provides Daniel Smith® fine art watercolors, brushes, tools, and watercolor paper.
Getting the Most out of your Die-Cutting Machine: Master a variety of techniques to get the most out of your die-cutting machine – either Spellbinders Platinum® or Sizzix Big Shots® $30 for a two-hour class or $20 when you purchase your machine at Runaway. Student supplies: Your die-cutting machine and all the plates that came with it. Runaway provides paper, dies, embossing folders, and more.
Distress® Inks and Oxides: $35 for a two-hour class. Curious about Ranger Distress® Inks and Oxides? Learn different how they differ and marvelous background techniques, watercolor techniques, stamps and stencils and more. No student supplies required. Runaway provides an assortment of ink pads, papers, stamps, stencils and other supplies.
Stenciling 101: Come learn how to use your stencils with texture paste, sprays, paint, and ink pads. Master how to get clear images and combine colors to shade. This is a great class for either card makers or folks that love mixed media. $40 for a two-hour class. Runaway provides pastes, paper, stencils, ink, paints, and tools.
*Runaway’s classroom provides protection for students and the ability to maintain appropriate physical distancing.
Below is a printable of the latest version of our class offerings.