If you are interested in signing up for a class, just talk to one of the Runaway gang, e-mail Christy@RunwayArt.com, or call 503-881-6270 to get things set up. Classes are on demand. Age range: students 13 years and older. Also see our Class Calendar for classes that are already scheduled.
Stamping 101: You will learn the basics of using rubber and acrylic stamps to make your own cards. We cover storage, adhesive, cleaning and heat embossing. $25 for a two-hour class. No supplies needed. This is a prerequisite for most of our card classes if you are new to cardmaking.
Card classes: We offer a variety of card classes throughout the year. Please see our class samples and descriptions for specifics. Prices vary, starting at $35 for a two and half hour class including the class kit. Specific student supplies are emailed prior to the classes.
Art Journaling: Learn a variety of mixed techniques using paint, stencils, stamps, papers and more. Each class is different. $60 for a three-hour class. Student Supplies: A large Dylusions® journal, white gesso, gel medium, strong double sided adhesive, Beacons® 3-in-1 glue or comparable strong white glue. Runaway provides paint, paper, tools, and other items to use in class.
Altered Books: Learn different ways for decorating hard-cover books using stamps, ink, paint or paper. $45 for a three-hour class. Student Supplies: White gesso, gel medium, strong double sided adhesive tape, Beacons® 3-in-1 glue or strong glue. Runaway provides books, paint, paper, tools, and other items to use in class.
Watercolor 1: This is a prerequisite for other watercolor classes. You will learn basic washes, brush strokes, layering, lifting color and soft blending using Daniel Smith ® watercolors. If time permits, we make a small landscape painting. $60 for a three-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides watercolors, paint brushes, watercolor paper, and tools.
Watercolor Trees & Bushes: Building on techniques in Watercolor 1 class, learn how to paint evergreen trees, deciduous trees and simple bushes. $65 for a three-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides watercolors, paint brushes, watercolor paper, and tools.
Alcohol Marker Classes
Basic Alcohol Marker Techniques: Learn how alcohol markers work and differ from water-based markers so you can blend, flick, and add texture – or take the class to decide whether these wonderful and versatile markers are for you! $30 for a two-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides paper, images to color, selection of alcohol markers, and blank color charts.
Advanced Alcohol Marker Techniques: Learn even more about blending, with your alcohol-based markers. Christy customizes additional classes to suit your needs and interests (faces, under-the-sea, specific stamped images, etc.). $40 for a two-hour class. Runaway provides paper and a selection of alcohol markers. Bring a list of the marker colors you own.
Gel Plate Printing Classes
- Beginning: $65 for a three-hour class. Learn how to use your gel plate to make one of a kind papers and pieces. You’ll use acrylic paint, stencils, tools, found objects and more to create one-of-a-kind prints. Student Supplies: A ½ inch stack of copy paper or drawing paper and 5-10 sheets of white cardstock. Runaway provides Art Advantage acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers, stencils and other texture tools.
- Gel Printing for Cardmakers: $60 for a three-hour class. Learn how to use gel plates to make beautiful cards – this class is designed specifically for cardmaking. Student Supplies: A ½ inch stack of copy paper and 6-10 pieces of white cardstock. Runaway provides Art Advantage acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers, stencils and other texture tools.
- Gel Printing Advanced Techniques: $70 for a three-hour class. Experiment with other types of acrylic paints. Christy customizes these classes. Students bring a variety of papers and/or a journal. Runaway provides acrylic paint, gel plates, brayers and other texture tools.
PanPastels®: These pastels can help you create marvelous art or backgrounds for card-making. You will learn how to apply, blend, store, and use them to get the best effects. You will use Sofft Tools® that are specifically designed for PanPastels®. $40 for a two-hour class. No student supplies required. Runaway provides PanPastels®, paper, and Sofft Tools®.
Distress® Inks and Oxides: $35 for a two-hour class. Curious about Ranger Distress® Inks and Oxides? Learn different how they differ and marvelous background techniques, watercolor techniques, stamps and stencils and more. No student supplies required. Runaway provides an assortment of ink pads, papers, stamps, stencils and other supplies.
Color Theory Classes
- Acrylic Paints: Students will learn the principles of color theory, practice mixing, and make at least one color wheel. $60 for a three-hour class. A second option available – $80 for a three-hour class using Golden® fluid acrylics, (rather than student-grade, acrylic paints). Optional student supplies: A mixed media journal. Runaway provides paint, brushes, tools, and mixed media paper.
- Watercolor Paints: Students will learn the principles of color theory, practice mixing, and make at least one color wheel. $60 for a three-hour class. Optional student supplies: A watercolor or mixed media journal. Runaway provides Daniel Smith® fine art watercolors, brushes, tools, and watercolor paper.
Stenciling 101: Come learn how to use your stencils with texture paste, sprays, paint, and ink pads. Master how to get clear images and combine colors to shade. This is a great class for either card makers or folks that love mixed media. $40 for a two-hour class. Runaway provides pastes, paper, stencils, ink, paints, and tools.
*Runaway’s classroom provides protection for students and the ability to maintain appropriate physical distancing.